Substances, Dungeon Floors, New Workflow

I’ve picked up Substance Designer and have started working on some better assets for the Dungeon biome.  Right now what I have is a bit busy, but I thought I’d share some of what I’m doing.  I started with a great tutorial on Youtube, where the presenter was kind enough to offer up his SBS file.  I made a variety of modification and exposed some parameters, kicked out the SBSAR and loaded it into my staging project in Unity.

I created three separate materials and applied them to their own GameObjects that Dungeon Architect uses to generate the floor.  Right off the bat, it looked like this:

Attempt 1
Attempt 1

Like I said… busy.  But at least it’s more interesting than what I had before.  I decided to up the game by adding a random rotation – each floor is randomly rotated by 0, 90, 180, or 270 degrees.  That looked like this:

Attempt 2
Attempt 2

Still busy, but at least a little more random.  Then I felt that the stones shouldn’t always be the same size, so I set each to have slightly different numbers of tiled stones per object:

Attempt 3
Attempt 3

Lastly, it still seemed too busy, so I lowered the overall count of each.  One was 4×4, one 5×5, the last was 4×5 making some stones also not square.  That looks like this:

Attempt 4
Attempt 4

Now it’s less busy, more random feeling, and looks decent.  I think I’ll probably go back to the Substance a bit and see what I can do about breaking them up a bit more, but for my first modification of a substance I’m pretty pleased.

Leave a Reply