A lot of core work on the project has been done over the past couple of weeks – and by core I mean behind the scenes. Yeah, I say that a lot and rarely have something new to show, and this is one of those times.
However, as an independent developer, that’s how a lot of this process goes. I fixed the helium filled GelCube issue, and they seem to be functioning fairly well on their NavMesh. Part of this was competing systems causing race conditions. I toyed with the idea of using physics to drive them, disabling some of the Unity AI stuff, but that led me into a rabbit hole that I wasn’t in the mood to contend with. Instead, I resolved the conflicts and they are now pathing along as they should.
I also added a physics material for them. They’re made out of ice, and should slide around a bit more than other GelCubes and mobs in the game. I’m also testing a fun bit where they may have items from their biome shoved inside them… I mean, they’re likely to pick things up as they move about and grow, right? I’m hoping this is a small detail that is cool in the long run. We shall see.
I’ve started setting realistic masses for Rigidbodies as well. The player has a mass of 81kg, and a full sized GelCube has a mass of 5444kg (who knew they were so heavy, but it does make sense).
Otherwise it’s been more boring: some maintenance to remove old assets that are no longer in play, some scripting for torches, creating static materials from SBSARs now that I have the walls and floors in a good place. Oh, and modifying the Dungeon Architect DungeonRuntimeNavigation.cs file to support multiple meshes for multiple agents. If you use DA and are interested, you can grab that here.
Basically you use an int to specify the NavAgentIDs that all your mobs will use and it builds all of their meshes and navigation data at the same time. I know I’m not the only one who wondered for a while why I couldn’t use other NavMeshAgents in my Unity project.